Writing an Ebook
Table of Contents
This is a work in progress but I wanted to get it started. Each chapter will become a separate post when finished.
Digital formatted book that may include audio, text and multimedia with links to websites if the reader has browser capability.
Audio books or "books on cd" have been around for a long time, but the audio books most related to mobile learning are those designed for reader users who have a problem with print. The Daisy format has been designed for those users and stands for "Digital Accessible Information System" or Digital Talking Book.The books are based upon the Daisy Standards and will support both text to speech and Braille output content in a mixed media approach for various readers and tablets.Available Daisy formatted books can be found here as well as other sites listed on the Daisy site. Bookshare offers them free for qualifying students.
- Project Gutenberg
- L'Association pour le Bien des Aveugles et malvoyants in Switzerland
- Vision Austalia's Information Library Service in Australia
- CINB Digital Library in Canada
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) in the United States
- National Braille Press
- O'Reilly eBooks
The ASB has some public domain books that you can download and use with a public reader.
Epub 2(current) and 3(coming) standard
CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT , Amazon, Bnoble, other proprietarial
http://bookworm.oreilly.com/ online epub reader
Ultimately, an ePub file is merely a zip file consisting of XHTML and XML metadata, so it is possible to create one "by hand" yourself. A good tutorial for this can be found at http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp.
Style guide http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52
Style and hints http://www.authorhouse.com/AuthorResources/default.aspx
Validating files http://www.speedofcreativity.org/2011/08/15/lessons-learned-about-enhanced-or-multimedia-epub-ebook-validation/
https://www.createspace.com/ https://www.createspace.com/en/community/community/resources/formatting_your_files?view=all https://www.createspace.com/en/community/community/resources/creating_content?view=all
- Feedbooks (http://feedbooks.com/share/): You can log into Feedbooks and create your own content, which will be made available in ePub, as well as other formats like PDF and Kindle.
- Rome?- multimedia output? convertible?
- eScape - ePub Creator (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/eScape%20-ODT2ePub) -
- eCub (http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub) - "a simple to use EPUB and MobiPocket ebook creator"
- Sigil (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/) - Multi-platform WYSIWYG ebook editor. It is designed to edit books in ePub format.
- Mobipocket Creater http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/default.asp?Language=EN
- Plucker HTML accumulator http://www.plkr.org/download
- yWriter This is a free novel-writing application that you can use to write your next story.- breaks your novel into chapters and scenes For PC.
- Edupub http://edu.epubbud.com/
- Wordpress Blog to epub plugin http://anthologize.org/
- FlatWorld http://www.flatworldknowledge.com/
- Web page to ebook http://dotepub.com/
- Blurb http://www.blurb.com/
17. Adobe Indesign http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/features.html
- Amazon- https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
- Lulu http://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/ has epub converter
- Twitter resources http://www.publishyourownebooks.com/twitter-hashtags-for-ebook-publishers/
- Flexbook http://www.ck12.org/flexbook/
- Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com): a free tool for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux that allows you to convert to ePub from a wide variety of formats.
- Adobe InDesign (http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/)
- BookGlutton API (http://www.bookglutton.com/api): If you have your book in HTML format, you can convert it into ePub using their online conversion API
- ePub Tools (http://code.google.com/p/epub-tools): Command-line tools suitable for batch processing and integration into toolchains. Includes tools for conversion from Word, RTF, DocBook, TEI, and FictionBook.
- eCub (http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub) - EPUB and MobiPocket
- DNAML's PDF2EPUB (http://www.pdftoepub.com/) - Convert PDFs to EPUBs in 6 easy steps. The nice thing about this software is that it can handle headers and footers which are often challenging when converting PDFs.
- ODFToEPub (http://www.pincette.biz/odftoepub/) - An OpenOffice extension that lets you save a document as an ePub.
- ePub2Go (free, web-based converter)
- Zamzar (free, web-based converter)
- ePubBud (free, web-based converter)
- Pages (commercial, Mac only)
http://www.armandmorin.com/ebook/- commercial- exe format
- Android reader Comparison
- Aldiko http://www.aldiko.com/
- Firefox plug in
- KOBO http://www.kobobooks.com/
- Adobe http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
- Kindle apps
- Sony http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
- plucker http://www.plkr.org/download
Memory Aids -
Action planning forms
Possible inclusion of Qr
Self contained modules
Chapter 10 Free Ebooks
- http://www.freetechbooks.com/ computer science/math